Family

Family

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Lost and Found

A few weeks ago, I lost my iPhone.  It was the end of a long and stressful week and we were expecting some folks in for the weekend.  I don’t normally carry my phone around at the house but I had it with me because we were waiting to hear from our guests about their arrival plans.  I was down visiting with our neighbors.  I put my phone on top of our van because I needed my hands free for something and of course, I forgot about it.  A few minutes later, our family loaded up in the van to go get food for our incoming guests.  We drove away from our home, with my phone on the roof of the van.  We were about twenty minutes into our drive, when I remembered that I left my phone on the roof.  We immediately called our neighbors who were still outside when we left our home and they searched for my phone while I called it from Tony’s phone.  I called my phone about 60 times that night, and a few times someone answered but they wouldn’t speak and would immediately hang up.  My phone was gone.

A few days later, Tony loaded a program to find my iPhone.  This program locks your phone and allows you to put a message on the locked screen.  The message said that the phone was lost and gave Tony’s number to contact if found.  We also offered a reward.  Exactly a week later, we got a phone call about my phone.  A man in a city 220 kilometers away from us had my phone!  He bought it off a kid on a bus.  After purchasing a charger and charging my phone, the man saw our message.  We offered him 2000 rupees to return my phone, that’s about $31 US.  The next day, he called back and said that he wanted 3000 rupees to return my phone, that’s about $47 US.  Tony agreed, so we deposited 2000 rupees in the man’s bank account; he would get the other 1000 rupees after we received the phone.  The following day, the man took a train to our city and met our language nurturer at the train station, and we got my phone back with a new phone charger.

I told you that the week I lost my phone was a long and stressful week.  That morning, during my quiet time I pulled out my Jesus Calling devotional book that I hadn’t read for quite some time. The first line of the devotional read, “Stay calmly conscious of me today no matter what.”  That line meant so much to me that day that I shared it with my family during our devotional time together.  I also took the time to creatively write it down on three different sheets of paper and put them up near my bed, on our daughter’s bedroom door and in our office/classroom. Had I not read that devotional that morning, I know I would have overreacted to losing my phone.  Staying calmly conscious of Jesus each day no matter what happens is something He is really trying to teach me these days.  What a joy to know that our God longs for us to rest in His presence at all times...no matter what.