Family

Family

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Broken Bone

This week, I broke my first bone since I was a freshman in high school (not saying how long ago that was).  Tony went up the mountain for the night to help our friends out, so the kids and I were alone. No problem…right?!?! We had a fun evening…watched a movie while we ate dinner, piled in my bed to finish the movie, had a huge tickle fight…I lost as I was ganged up on by three crazy kids!  We were all asleep, snug in our beds when at 2 am I heard a giant crash…I knew instantly that someone had fallen out of bed onto the marble floor.  In an effort to bolt (sounds very dramatic doesn’t it) from my bed and race down the hall, I also fell…not one of my more graceful moves.  By the time I got to the girl’s room, Rae Rae was screaming and I was dealing with signs of shock...sweating and feeling nauseous.  Anyway, Dylan and Delaney jumped into action to help out…Delaney got ice for Rae Rae’s head and Dylan got a bucket for me.  Once every one calmed down, I decided we would all sleep in the girls’ bed for the rest of the night.  But first, we had to watch a movie so I could keep Rae awake to watch for signs of a concussion.  Praise God that Rae Rae was completely okay!

When Tony got home the next morning, he wanted to take me to the hospital to get an x-ray.  All we have for transportation is a motorcycle, so I rode sari-style (side-saddle) for a more than 20 minute ride.  That was fun! The emergency room staff was wonderful…they practically met me at the motorcycle with a wheelchair and wouldn’t let me move without their help.  It was pretty comical, really.  The x-rays confirmed a broken big toe and the orthopedic wrapped two toes together with a kind of plaster bandage.  He told me to keep the bandage on for 3-4 weeks and not to put pressure on my toe, and that was it.  Here’s the amazing part: for an emergency room visit, 2 x-rays, an x-ray technician, the emergency room doctor, and the orthopedic doctor to read the x-ray and wrap my foot the total bill was 1150 rupees…that’s about $18US!  I told Tony he’s not allowed to leave us alone at night ever again! :)